Stones and Gems Education
Stones and Gems
With different styles and carats, our diamond rings present a versatile selection for any taste or budget. All Jewelry by Johan diamonds are sourced ethically and are conflict free.
We follow the Kimberly Process, which ensures that Diamonds bought and sold are not sourced from forced labor or other illegal activity.
At Jewelry by Johan we adore all assortments of diamonds, especially black diamonds. It seems that black diamonds are making their way to the forefront as a popular diamond color alternative in the jewelry industry. It is easy to see why, black diamonds have a very mysterious quality about them, which just makes them that much more beautiful and interesting when used in jewelry.
Rediscovering our love for black diamonds got us wondering how exactly do diamonds receive their colors? It turns out that the coloring comes from the atomic structure of a gem shift, which creates a one of a kind hue in the stone that casts a bounty of different shades, to our favorite black, to the faintest of pink. The price of the diamond often depends on the scarcity of it. Pink diamonds are the hardest to locate and one of the most expensive diamond shades. Black diamonds are also a more budget friendly alternative to a classic white stone, which makes them a very popular alternative.
Forever Brilliant® is the world’s most brilliant gem®. Inspired by the beauty and fire of natural moissanite, discovered over a century ago by Dr. Henri Moissan, Charles & Colvard® patented an ethical process for growing gem-quality Moissanite. More brilliant than a diamond at a fraction of the cost, more durable than a sapphire, ruby, or emerald, nothing compares to or outshines Charles & Colvard Created Moissanite®. Forever Brilliant® is our brightest, whitest gem ever; the result of new innovation and artistry that reveals maximum brilliance and fire. Artfully created from Silicon Carbide, the world’s second hardest mineral; the beauty of Forever Brilliant® created by Charles & Colvard® is guaranteed to last forever.
The Four C’s:
Specifications Of A Diamond
What makes a diamond beautiful is all controlled by these four values. We’ll help you understand what each one means.
- Carat: The weight of a diamond, 200 milligrams is 1 Carat.
- Color: The whiter the diamond, the better. The higher up on the color scale you go, the more colorless a diamond will appear. This ranges from D (Colorless) to Z (Easily Noticeable Color)
- Clarity: Having a clear diamond means having one without inclusions (Almost like small scratches and marks on the inside). Clarity is measured from FL to IF (Flawless), VVS1 to VVS2 Hard to find imperfections when magnified by 10), VS1 to VS2 (Imperfections are hard to see with the naked eye), SI1 to SI2 (Imperfections can be found when magnified by 10), I1 to I3 (Imperfections can be found by the naked eye)
- Cut: How well a diamond is cut controls how effectively it reflects light. The better it reflects light, the brighter and more fiery the stone will appear. This ranges from Excellent Cut (Almost any and all light that enters will be reflected), Very Good Cut (Close to reflecting as much light as an excellent cut), Good Cut (Most light will be reflected), Fair Cut (Some light reflects), Poor Cut (A very small amount of light reflects)
Each of these variables affects the price of a diamond. We can help you look through these specifications to find the best diamond for your budget!
How To Choose The Right Diamond For You
Here’s a step-by-step guide that will help you find the diamond that perfectly fits both you and your budget!
- Lower the Cut. Go as low as Very Good in round diamonds, and Good in fancy shapes before making concessions in other areas.
- Next, lower the Color. Go as low as H before making concessions in other areas.
- Last, lower the Clarity. Go as low as VS2 before making concessions in other areas.
- Start with the highest quality diamond of the shape and carat weight minimum you identified in steps 1 and 2, and begin making concessions in the following order until you arrive at a diamond that fits your budget:
- Set a carat weight minimum based on your preferences. If you have your heart set on a one carat diamond, even the most beautiful half carat stone will be a disappointment.
- Identify the diamond shape you would like. If you do not know, consider round or princess cut as these are generally the most popular.
- If the diamonds that match your revised criteria are close to your budget, consider shaving off some carat weight in order to close the gap. A carat weight difference of 10% or less will be very difficult to detect visually
If after following the steps above, you are still outside your budget, repeat the process with new thresholds:
- First, further reduce Clarity. Go as low as SI1.
- Next, reduce Color. Go as low as J. If you know the diamond will be set in yellow gold, you could safely drop to K.
- Finally, reduce the Cut. Go as low as Good in round diamonds, and Fair in fancy shapes.
- At this point, if you are still outside your budget, your next step will depend on your individual preferences and needs.
- If the diamond you seek is under one carat, you could consider a drop to SI2 clarity.
- If the diamond is both a brilliant cut and under 1.50 carats, an L-M color may be perfectly acceptable when set in yellow gold.
- If size is the primary consideration, you could consider a Fair cut round or fancy shape.
- If you are still well outside your budget, you may need to consider increasing your budget or reducing your minimum carat weight target.
With these steps, you should be able to find the right diamond you love while sticking within your budget!
At Jewelry By Johan we want you to find something special. Our rubies, topazes, sapphires, opals, and meteorites (The list goes on) all could be the perfect stone for your dream ring. Scroll through our website to find the stone that means the most to you. You can also look on the American Gem Trade Association website to explore all kinds of stones! Be sure to ask us if you want something that you can’t seem to find on our website. Your special stone could be your birthstone, a stone that looks the best to you, or even something you already own!
We Can Make A Ring Using YOUR Stone
Send us the gem you want in your custom ring if you already own the perfect stone for your dream ring! You can give your ring just that much more sentimental value while lowering the price!